Friday, May 27, 2011

Weather

The past couple days were crazy! I was supposed to have a meeting with my Doula and her 'back up' lady last Wednesday. It was a beautiful day that I spent inside cleaning more because of her coming. Anyhow sirens went off and i look at David and tell him I think that this is the first time that they have gone off that WASNT a test (normally it is the first Monday of the month around noon). I said we should check the internet for the weather, but didnt seem too concerned because of the pretty sun. Devon (my doula) called and said, "our sirens are going off, we are probably going to have to cancel.. Oh, do you have a basement?"... I asked "oh, no... our sirens are going off too, does that mean bad weather is coming, or does that mean someone actually spotted a tornado? and no, we dont have a basement!" She then proceeded to tell me it means to take immediate cover and to get into the downstairs bathroom and hands and knees! I snatched up the cats, and our boots and David grabbed a blanket, and headlamp and we smashed into a little downstairs bathroom.  While we were getting these things the biggest hail I have ever seen started coming down… I thought the skylights on the roof were going to break! It was so loud.. the wind increased each minute and debris was flying around in the sky as well!
In the bathroom we couldn’t see anything, but we could sure hear all the sounds of everything hitting the house. The house was shaking or vibrating under my butt from the wind! At one point I opened the door and could see the skylight from there, it was insane! The tree that normally is at that window didn’t seem to be there, but then I noticed that it was just bent over but whipping back in the windows view like play dough.  I think we were in there for maybe 5 minutes, but it seemed longer. Once we heard the banging stop we came out and saw all the damage. It wasn’t so bad actually other than our screens have holes in them and Davids car looks like someone used it for a target to shoot gulf balls and baseballs at!  Some peoples siding across from us was lifted up. Many trees in the area came down and some roof tops blown away.  There were leaves everywhere stuck to every surface like a window decals.  MOUNDS of large hail piled up against the back of the house and scattered all over the yards and road.
The tornado had dropped down almost a mile from our place and winds reached 65 miles per hour.








No comments:

Post a Comment