Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Ideal birth Story


Ideal birth Story
In a perfect word, David and I would have planted a seed in the backyard garden, and the baby would have been born once the cabbage patch bloomed ;) But enough of fairy tales! This story was written with shared stories and stereotypes in mind of first time deliveries.
It is June 24th, 2011 a week past my estimated due date. We are quite happy that our little one made it this far and also seems quite content on making its self at home in my belly for another week. Just when I start repeating in my head that it can’t be much longer now, I see that I have lost my bloody show. I’m so excited I text David at work.  He asks if he should come home, but I reassure him that this is just the start, not contractions, but I do make a call to the doula to let her know as well. Saturday and Sunday go by with high intentions. I get a few Braxton hicks, but nothing on a schedule. Sunday night I get up for some water when I feel a tightening in my abdomen… at first I think it is another false alarm until the intensity climbs to painful peak. Battling in my head for a moment whether to wake David or not, I decide to stay up and wait to see if it happens again. About 15 minutes later I feel another one!  For what seemed like a few minutes afterwards I sit motionless thinking of all that is about to come. I snap out of it when I feel the pressure starting again. This time I wake David and tell him that I think I’m having REAL contractions. He gets up and we time the contractions at 15 minutes apart. We decide to try to get back to sleep. However I am too excited and thoughts are racing for any sort of rest. I decide to make my ‘last meal’.  After eating I have been calmed down a bit and am starting to get used to the contractions. I go through my ‘hospital bag’ and reassure myself that I have everything I wanted ready to go. That is when I decide to lie down and try to sleep.
I wake at 8:30am to go to the bathroom with loose bowls. David notices I am not in bed and gets on the computer to track the contractions again. They are now 10 minutes apart. We decide to call the doula and the Family Beginnings and let them know things have begun.  During this time, I am showering and David is reading to me some relaxation stories, including the one he wrote for me. When the doula shows up the contractions are now 8 minutes apart.  I decide to call my family and let them know baby is ‘on the move’. The doula brings me hot and cold compresses and also applies counter pressure to my hips. The relaxation sets in and I start to be in a focused meditative state.
Before we know my contractions jumped to 4 minutes apart. We hop in the car on this warm sunny day and head out to Miami Valley hospital. While David is setting up the room, the doula and I walk around the outside of the hospital. There is a newly made river and beautiful landscaping to take in. I enjoy the hot sun on my face and take in the sweet smell of the flowers and summer day. Each breath flows in and out like rhythmically like a tide on a beach. A few people stare as I sit on my exercise ball on the path. I don’t mind at all. With my eyes closed I do some imagery. I imagine my breath being a golden color of the sun, then a peaceful green, and a royal violet with each exhale.
David returns and lets us know that we have a room and everything is set up. We go in and David reminds me to eat some chicken broth, jello, milk, and gives me some honey sticks. While the doula gives me a massage David reads me some more stories and also puts on some relaxing music. I get antsy, so we go for another walk around the building, during contractions David and I hold each other and sway.  
As contractions increase, I feel the need to be alone, and away from people. We return to the room, where the nurse checks my dilation.  I am at 6cm. I put on my headphones and listen to some Sigur Ros, lying in bed. Every so often David or the doula touch me and have me move into another position or to do some pelvic rocking.  Other times David will grab my hand and take me to the bathroom or hand me a glass of water, or ice chips to chew on. We have hand signals to communicate contraction start and stops. David tracks them on his laptop.  Contractions get to three minutes apart and are increasing in intensity.
The doctor comes in and checks my dilation, effacement and the fetal heartbeat. We are at 7 cm and 1+ station. I look towards the window and to my surprise night is approaching. I start to freak out that things are advancing slowly. JUST ONE CM! The doula and David remind me that the baby is just getting ready for the next step and needs the time for things to go smoothly.  They encourage me and tell me the positives such as how the baby’s heart is doing well. They tell me I am experiencing the N.A.P., natural alignment plateau.
The doula starts a massage but in only a few minutes into it I feel a gush of wetness. My water has now broken. This is encouraging and I start to feel better that things are progressing… but then I feel the raw sheer pain and force myself  into a meditative, focused state again. I want to be left alone… I let out a few whimpers and even ask if maybe it would be best to be in the hospital. I have a strong desire for my dr to return and ask the doula try to get him. David gets the nurse, and she relaxes me with the fetal heartbeat Doppler. Hearing the baby’s heart beat helps me focus on the reason for the race. I can visualize the end of the race coming near, and the beautiful miracle at the finish line. The nurse rechecks my dilation and informs us that we are now at 10 cm and at positive three effacement. 
She starts filling the bath. David changes into his swim trunks and helps me take off my clothes for the tub. As we enter and I get in the squatting position, I feel the pain ease but the intensity of the contraction still climbs. I kneel with my head on the side of the tub as David adds counter pressure to my hips. The doula comes back with the dr. He lets me know that I can start pushing whenever I get the urge. I tell the doula to get any family members that don’t mind me naked that want to watch. A few family members come in and watch as I have a few contractions. I finally get a strong urge to push. I take one strong push and the baby crowns. I push again and feel the worst pain and then it release. They tell me to stop pushing, and I do taking a moment to rest. The third push and the baby’s out! They place it on my chest. The baby opens its eyes right up to me and coos. Tears start streaming down my face.
This is my ideal birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment